Whether your preference is with custard or with cream, this bread pudding has it all – beautiful crisp edges, a soft custardy middle and it even uses up the leftover bread in the house. It only takes 10 minutes to prep, and you can leave it in the oven to bake while dinner's being served.
- 500g leftover bread
- 2 eggs
- 500ml milk
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 50g sultanas
- 5g mixed spice
- 100g demerara sugar
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a 1lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Rip the bread into small pieces and place into a bowl with the sultanas.
- Mix the egg, milk, soft brown sugar and mixed spice together and pour over the ripped bread.
- Scrunch the bread in the milk mix until the liquid is all soaked in.
- Pour into your lined loaf tin, sprinkle the top with the demerara sugar and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden and the loaf is set.