Cheese and bacon twists
These easy peasy twists have crisp and buttery pastry wrapped around tasty bacon and cheese. Perfect warm or cold, they're great for lunch with a side salad, on a picnic with family or friends or even just as a cheeky afternoon or evening snack. One thing is for certain, you’re sure to be left with a lap full of flaky crumbs.
For the dough
- 600g strong bread flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 75g butter
- 10g dried yeast
- 400ml warm water
- A pinch of salt
For the filling
- 200g cream cheese
- 300g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 300g cooked bacon, roughly chopped
- For the dough, add all the dry dough ingredients to the bowl of your mixer, attach the dough hook and turn on low. Gradually add the warm water, and continue to mix until a soft, smooth dough is formed.
- Add the margarine and continue to mix. The dough will turn sticky, don't be tempted to add more flour, allow the dough hook to combine everything together until the dough is smooth and soft again.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead into a ball. Once kneaded, place into a floured bowl.
- Cover and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Remove from the bowl and place onto a floured work surface, roll into a rectangle approximately 48cm by 30cm, with the long edge facing you.
- Spread the cream cheese over the entire surface, followed by the grated Cheddar cheese and the cooked bacon, pressing down the ingredients into the cream cheese so they stick.
- Fold the dough in half from top to bottom and press down gently.
- Cut into 12 even strips.
- Take each strip, twist around several times and place onto a lined tray. Cover and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Place into a preheated oven at 170°C or gas mark 3 for 25-30 minutes until golden and risen.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.