Chicken and leek pie
A flavoursome pie, perfect for the spring months.
- 15ml/1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Sprig rosemary
- 125g/5oz onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 100g/4oz carrot, diced
- 75g/3oz mushrooms, sliced
- 100g/4oz leeks, thinly sliced
- 700g/1lb 10oz diced chicken thighs
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 250ml/10floz boiling water
- 50ml/2floz white wine
- 25g/1oz baking margarine or butter
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 25ml/1floz double cream
- 5g/1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
For the pastry:
- 250g/10oz plain flour
- 65g/2½oz margarine or butter
- 65g/2½oz lard
- ½tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan, Gas mark 5.
- Place the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the rosemary, onion, garlic and chicken pieces, stir well until the chicken is sealed.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and shredded leeks to the pan, pour in the white wine and stir well.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water, add to the pan along with additional water to cover everything. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked.
- Pour the chicken mix into a sieve and drain off the liquid. Put the meat and vegetables to one side.
- In a different pan, melt the margarine or butter, add the flour and stir to make a paste.
- Add the liquid from the meat, a little at a time, until you have a smooth sauce. Adding additional liquid if needed. Add the meat and vegetables back into the sauce, along with the cream and parsley and stir well.
For the pastry:
- Place the flour, margarine or butter and lard in a bowl, rub the fat into the flour until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and mix until you have a smooth dough. Roll out the pastry into ovals to cover your pie dish.
- Divide the chicken mix between the pie dishes and place the pastry on top, crimping the edges. Make a hole in the top, brush with egg, place in the oven and cook for 20–30 minutes until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve with the cabbage and potatoes.