Chicken and mushroom pie
Free range, flavoursome chicken thighs snuggled in a rich creamy velouté sauce beneath a crisp enriched short crust pastry. An indulgent treat, perfect for any occasion.
- 30ml (2tbsp) oil
- 500g (12oz) onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 sprig oregano, finely chopped
- 750g (1lb 12oz) diced chicken thigh
- 200g (8oz) mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 40g (2oz) plain flour
- 20g (1oz) chicken bouillon
- 100ml (3.5fl oz) double cream
- 10g (0.5oz) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 250g (10oz) plain flour
- 125g (5oz) butter, softened
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- Place the oil in a large pan over a high heat, add the garlic and onions and reduce the heat to medium, stir well and sauté gently for 10 minutes until soft and lightly coloured.
- Add the herbs, bay leaves and nutmeg and stir well.
- Add the chicken and stir well until sealed on all sides.
- Add the mushrooms and stir again, reduce the heat right down and leave while you make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat and stir in the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes until you have a smooth paste. Dissolve the bouillon in 500ml of boiling water and gradually stir into the roux (paste) until you have a thick sauce, add the cream and stir well.
- Pour the sauce into the chicken mix with enough additional water to make a smooth coating sauce, add the parsley and stir.
- Remove from the heat and put to one side.
- Place the flour, butter, salt, pepper and herbs in a bowl and rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then make a well in the centre.
- Tip in the egg and stir gently until the mixture forms a smooth homogenous ball of pastry. Add a splash of milk if the mix is too dry. Knead lightly a couple of times to bring it together.
- Roll out the pastry to around the thickness of a pound coin and cut out lids to fit on your pie dishes.
- Divide the pie filling between your dishes and top with a pastry lid, crimp and place in the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden, remove and serve.