If you're looking for a simple, gluten free recipe to create delicious custard tarts every time, look no further. With buttery crisp pastry and a luxuriously creamy filling, it's no surprise this sweet treat is a classic. What's more, you won't have to worry about getting any soggy pastry bottoms with our recipe too.
For the pastry
- 250g gluten free self-rasing flour
- 125g butter
- 40g icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 eggs
For the custard
- 3 eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 15g vanilla essence
- 200ml milk
- 200ml double cream
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- For the pastry, place the flour, butter, icing sugar and salt into the bowl of your food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in the egg and pulse again until it starts to come together. Tip out onto your work surface and knead for a few seconds until it comes together as a soft smooth pastry.
- Roll out on your floured work surface and cut out using a 10cm cutter, and press each disc into your muffin tin, pressing gently to fill to the top.
- For the custard, place all the custard ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Carefully pour the egg custard into the pastry cases, until about 3mm from the top.
- Sprinkle the top with a little nutmeg and place into the oven at 150°C for around 30-40 minutes or until the custard is set but with a slight wobble.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before removing from the tins.