Why not try your hand at making these fluffy fruit scones, created using ingredients from our 2016 Fine Farm Produce Award winners; namely Wimpole Estate organic plain flour and deliciously creamy raw milk from Low Sizergh Farm.
Cakes and bakes
- 450g/1lb Wimpole organic plain flour
- 115g/4oz soft margarine
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz sultanas
- 4-5 tsp baking powder
- 1 Ochr Cefn Isa free range egg (beaten)
- 200ml/7fl oz Low Sizergh Farm raw milk
- Strawberry jam and clotted cream to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a bowl and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Add the egg and gradually mix in 150ml/ ¼ pint of the milk to make a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface then roll out thickly to a generous 2cm/¾ inch thickness, or two fingers.
- Stamp out circles using a 7cm/2¾ inch fluted biscuit cutter and transfer the scones to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Knead the trimmings and continue rolling and stamping until you have made eight scones.
- Brush the top of the scones with a little of the remaining milk, then bake for 10-15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Serve warm, split and topped with jam and clotted cream.