Grilled cheese sandwich
This simple sandwich can be made at any time of the day. Whether it's a tummy warming breakfast, quick lunch or comforting tea time snack, the gooey cheese and crisp, buttery bread will leave you wanting more.
- 100g grated cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 50g butter, melted
- Lay one slice of bread on a board and sprinkle the cheese on in an even layer. If you have some mozzarella mix that with the cheddar for extra flavour and stretch.
- Top with the remaining slice of bread and press down firmly.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Using a pastry brush generously coat the top of the sandwich with melted butter.
- Place a heavy based frying pan or griddle on medium and allow to heat up.
- Carefully lift the sandwich and place into the hot pan, buttered side down. Press down firmly with a spatula or masher to give an even crisp to the bread, and an even melt to the cheese, and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the underside is crisp and golden.
- Generously coat the top of the sandwich with the remaining melted butter and careful flip the sandwich in the pan.
- Press down again and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy.
Hungry for more recipes?
From our kitchens to yours, why not recreate all that you love about a visit to a National Trust café? From hearty mains to light snacks and naughty treats there's something for every mood.