Lentil, chickpea and fresh coriander soup
A warm, hearty soup packed full of healthy goodness with a light curry touch, this soup has a full-bodied flavour finished with fresh aromatic notes of coriander.
- 30ml (1fl oz) vegetable oil
- 300g (11oz) onions, roughly chopped
- 20g (0.7oz) fresh coriander
- 90g (3 oz) tikka masala paste
- 400g (14oz) red lentils
- 20g (2 cubes) vegetable bouillon
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chick peas, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60ml (2 fl oz) extra virgin rapeseed oil
- 2tsp ground coriander
- Chop the stalks off the coriander and reserve the leaves until later, finely chop the stalk.
- Place the oil in a large saucepan or similar on a medium heat and add the oil, once hot add the onions and coriander stalks and stir well sautéing lightly for around 5 minutes or until the onion is softening.
- Add the curry paste to the pan and stir well, continue to sauté for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the lentils and add to the pan, stir well.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients in the pan, stir well and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and stir in the vegetable bouillon or stock cubes. Check regularly and add more water as necessary to prevent the pan drying out.
- Once the lentils are soft and most of the liquid absorbed remove the pan from the heat and blend with a stick blender until smooth, adding additional water until you have a smooth pouring consistency.
- Return to the heat, add the drained chick peas and the roughly chopped coriander leaf, stir well and use the salt and pepper to season the soup to your liking.
- Put the oil in a large pan along with the coriander and heat until sizzling, remove from the heat and leave to cool before drizzling over the soup.