National Trust fruit scones
Learn to bake our world famous-fruit scones.
- 450g/1lb self-raising flour
- 115g/4oz soft margarine
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz sultanas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200ml/7fl oz milk
Strawberry jam and clotted cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Add the flour and margarine to the bowl of an electric mixer and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Add the egg and gradually mix in 150ml/¼ pint of the milk to make a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface then roll out thickly to a generous 2cm/¾ inch thickness, or two fingers.
- Stamp out circles using a 7cm/2¾ inch fluted biscuit cutter and transfer the scones to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Knead the trimmings and continue rolling and stamping until you have made eight scones.
- Brush the top of the scones with a little of the remaining milk, then bake for 10–15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
Serve warm, split and topped with jam and clotted cream.