National Trust fruit scones
Learn to bake our world famous-fruit scones.
- 450gself-raising flour
- 115gsoft margarine
- 85gcaster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Strawberry jam and clotted cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Add the flour and margarine to the bowl of an electric mixer and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Add the egg and gradually mix in 150ml of the milk to make a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface then roll out thickly to a generous 2cm thickness, or two fingers.
- Stamp out circles using a 7cm fluted biscuit cutter and transfer the scones to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Knead the trimmings and continue rolling and stamping until you have made eight scones.
- Brush the top of the scones with a little of the remaining milk, then bake for 10–15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Serve warm, split and topped with jam and clotted cream.