Light and spicy with orange and star anise.
- 6 pears
- 200ml/7fl ozs white wine
- 50g/1.5oz honey
- 6 star anise
- ¼tsp ground cloves
- 2 oranges
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Place white wine, star anise, honey, cloves and cinnamon into a pan.
- Cut fine strips of orange peel, squeeze the orange, then add the juice, peel and squeezed fruit to the pan.
- Peel the pears, cutting a little off the bottom of each pear.
- Stand the pears in the pan with the wine mix, and add sufficient water to cover them 2/3 the way up. Bring to the boil then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and poach for around 20 minutes.
- Test the pears by pushing a knife into the widest part, it should slide in easily. Remove the pears from the poaching liquor, and set aside.
- Boil the liquid until it has reduced by 50 per cent and thickened slightly. Add sugar if needed. Strain into bowl, reserving the peel and star anise.
- Place a pear in the centre of a bowl, ladle over some of the poaching liquor, serve with a star anise and a few strands of the orange peel.