Raspberry and white chocolate mini sponge
Add a fruity twist to the classic sponge with this sweet and simple recipe. Deliciously bite-sized, with raspberry glaze and white chocolate drops, they’ll fit perfectly in lunch boxes and picnic hampers.
- 175gbaking margarine or butter
- 175gcaster sugar
- 3eggs, beaten
- 175gself-raising flour
- 1/4 tspbicarbonate of soda
- 1 tspground mixed spices
- 50gfrozen raspberries
- 50gwhite chocolate drops
- To glaze
- 50gicing sugar
- 50graspberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 170C (350F) Gas 4.
- Place the margarine or butter and caster sugar in the bowl of your mixer, attach the paddle beater and turn the machine on low, beat the mix until light and fluffy, scrape down the sides regularly using a spatula.
- Add half the eggs and beat again, scraping down as required to ensure all the mixture is amalgamated.
- Add the remaining eggs and a large spoonful of the flour, beat again until the mix is smooth and incorporated.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground mixed spice together and add to the mix. Mix well until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the raspberries and white chocolate. Mix well until incorporated.
- Place your muffin cases in your tins and fill each one with the mixture. Put into the oven at 170C baking for around 20 – 30 minutes or until risen, golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with the raspberry jam and add enough water to make a thin glaze. Poke a few holes in the top of the sponges with a skewer and drizzle over the icing.