Spiced carrot and orange soup
If you're looking for a healthy, warming and easy soup, look no further than this delicately spiced carrot soup. Packed with vegetables and full of flavour, get your taste buds tingling when you dish this up as a simple lunch or hearty dinner.
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 250g Onions, roughly chooped
- 750g Carrots, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 200g Potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 300mls Orange juice
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Ground mixed spice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Portions of crusty bread
- Place a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat and when hot add the oil, onions, carrots and potatoes. Stir well and sauté for around 15 minutes until the onions have softened and the remaining ingredients are lightly coloured.
- Add the orange juice, bay leaf and mixed spice and stir well. Add enough additional water to cover all the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 – 30 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Remove from the heat.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Blend the soup with a blender, adding additional water to make a smooth textured soup.
- Season to taste using the salt and pepper, then serve with your bread.
- If you fancy, you can top the soup with croutons or a little extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil.