Tea soaked fruit cake
This light and fruity afternoon treat uses our new National Trust Fairtrade tea; blended exclusively for us in partnership with Clipper.
- 8 tea bags
- 300ml (10fl oz) boiling water
- 500g (18oz) mixed dried fruit
- 500g (18oz) self-raising flour
- 325g (11.5oz) butter or margarine
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 5 eggs
- 1tsp salt
- Place the tea bags in a large bowl and add the boiling water. Stir to make a very strong tea then add the mixed dried fruit and stir well, leave to soak until the liquid is cold. If you leave the fruit to soak overnight this will impart more of the tea flavour to the fruit.
- Once cool, remove the tea bags, give the fruit a stir and then put to one side.
- Pre-heat your oven to 175°C (155°C fan, 340°F, gas mark 3–4) then grease and line a 23cm (9”) springform cake tin.
- Place the flour and butter or margarine in a large bowl and use your fingers to rub the fat into the flour until evenly distributed and the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and mixed spice, then stir well.
- Add the eggs and the soaked fruit, along with any remaining liquid and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin and level the top, place in the oven and bake for around an hour or until the cake is risen, golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.