Try this delicious recipe for a good old-fashioned pancake. Simple and quick to make, these scrumptious pancakes will make a tempting treat the whole family will love. Enjoy on a weekday, weekend or for Pancake Day.
- 125gplain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 300ml milk
- 25gmelted butter
- Oil for frying
- Put the flour and salt in a large bowl, make a small well in the middle. Crack in the eggs, add a splash of the milk and the melted butter.
- Use a balloon whisk to start whisking from the centre, gradually working your way outwards to incorporate the flour.
- Once the flour is mixed in, continue to whisk whilst you gradually pour in the remaining milk. Continue whisking until you have a smooth batter the consistency of single cream.
- Place a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and swirl around so it is evenly coated.
- Use a ladle to drizzle in the batter, swirling the pan at the same time until the batter coats the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
- Leave for around 30 seconds. The pancake should start to bubble on top and then, holding the pan firmly, carefully shake the pan to loosen the pancake. Slide a fish slice or a palette knife underneath the pancake and carefully turn the pancake over. It should be a rich golden brown on the bottom.
- Leave for another 30 seconds and carefully lift the pancake to look underneath, making sure it’s cooked, then tip out of the pan onto a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter mix.
- Cover with your favourite topping and serve hot.
When is Pancake Day?
This pancake recipe is perfect for Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, on Tuesday 1 March 2022, which is the traditional feast day before the start of the Christian festival of Lent.
If you’ve ever wondered why we eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, it’s due to the history of fasting during Lent. Eggs, flour and milk were common foods that people gave up during Lent. Shrove Tuesday was the last opportunity to use these ingredients and pancakes were the perfect way to use them up.
Now you've got a delicious pancake recipe and a little history about Pancake Day, we've also got some tasty toppings that you could use when you cook up your next batch of pancakes.