Vegetarian and alcohol-free Christmas pudding
This is a simple pudding that requires no time to mature, so it can be made in as little as a week before it's required or even made on the day and served fresh.
- 180g Mixed dried fruits
- 60g Dates, stoned and chopped
- 60g Glace cherries, chopped
- 60g Dried apricots, chopped
- 90g Plain flour
- 90g Fresh white breadcrumbs
- 60g Dark soft brown sugar
- 60g Vegetarian spread
- 60g Carrot, grated
- 60g Cooking apple, grated
- 30g Walnuts,finely chopped
- 1 Egg
- 1tbsp Black treacle
- 1tsp Mixed spice
- Grated rind and juice of a lemon
- Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly, adding enough milk to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin.
- Cover with greased paper and foil, tie down securely.
- Steam for 5 hours.
- Either serve immediately or let it cool uncovered, wrap in clean greased paper and foil and store until required (this will require steaming for 2 hours from cold).
Due to the lack of alcohol in this pudding, it cannot be stored long-term.