What to expect from your visit to Red House
Red House is closed for winter. We will reopen to pre-booked guided tours in March 2022. This article will be updated in February 2022 with instructions on how to book tickets.
Do I need to pre-book?
Because of Red House's small size we run guided tours, which help us bring the story of Red House alive in a more intimate way for visitors. Please pre-book your guided tour to visit the house. Tickets are released every Thursday and you can book up to 2 weeks in advance. Members can book for free, while non-members will need to pay when booking. We sell out quickly, and recommend booking early.
When arriving at Red House please have your ticket ready to show our staff as either a printed copy or on your phone. If you’re a member, you’ll also need to show your membership card. You'll be asked to show these at the Garden gate where staff and volunteers will be waiting to welcome you.
Please arrive promptly at the start of your time slot so that you do not miss your guided tour of the house. At the end of your tour, you are welcome to spend as much time in the garden as you like until closing time.
Sadly, we are unable to accomodate entry to the house if you arrive more than 10 minutes late. You will still be able to visit the garden.
Please note that there is no car parking at Red House. The closest car park is at Danson House, 1 mile away or a 15 minute stroll. The car park is owned and run by Bexley Council and charges may apply. The nearest train station is Bexleyheath, a 15 minute walk away, and the closest bus stop is Upton Road, a 5 minute walk away.
If you’re showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 14 days, please don’t visit.
- The house is open by pre-booked guided tours at 11am, 12pm and 1pm, Thursday - Saturday and on Bank Holidays until 30th October 2021.
- The tour of the house will last for 45 minutes, the start and end time of which is marked on your ticket. Please arrive 10 minutes before the start time to be booked in.
- After your tour of the house, you are welcome to spend as much time in the garden as you like until closing time.
- The visitor toilets and Second Hand Bookshop will be open on your visit.
- Our shop and cafe have closed since your last visit. We have ample space for picnics in our garden if you want to bring your own.
How to book your tickets
All visitors need to book their visit in advance. Members can book for free, while non-members will need to pay when booking. Members will need to bring both their tickets and their membership cards with them on their visit to enter the gardens.
- Please book one ticket per person, except for children aged 5 or under who do not need a ticket.
- Tickets are for your use only and not for resale.
- We'll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in the correct email address to ensure you receive your confirmation email.
- You will need to choose a 45 minute slot for your tour of the house. The times on your ticket mark the start and finish of the tour.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of your tour to be booked in.
Tickets become available on Thursdays 2 weeks prior. The last ticket release of 2021 will be on Thursday 14 October for tours on 28,29 & 30 October. On 30 October, Red House will close for the winter and reopen in spring 2022.
Exploring the Garden
All areas of the garden are open to enjoy. Despite recent challenges, the garden team have worked hard to ensure that the garden offers you an excellent visit.
You can download our full access statement below.
If you require any other assistance or information prior to your visit, please email Red.House@nationaltrust.org.uk and we will repond to your enquiry as soon as we can.