History of Reigate Fort at Reigate Hill and Gatton Park
Reigate Fort was built in 1898 as part of the London Defence Scheme. However by 1906 the Government no longer felt that it was needed. They now had a superior navy to defend our shores. The fort was decommissioned and subsequently sold to a private owner in 1907.
What happened during the war years?
- In the First World War the fort was used for storing ammunition
- It was recommissioned in the Second World War and possibly played a part in wartime communications for the army's South East Command which was based in tunnels a few hundred metres from the fort
- The Scout Association used the fort between and after the wars for camping and other activities
Who was stationed at the fort?
- Over the years various regiments have been based at Reigate Fort including:
- The East Surrey Regiment
- Sherwood Foresters
- The Staffordshire Regiment
- 3rd Royal Engineer Field Companies (volunteers)
- 3rd Royal Artillery Brigades (volunteers)