The Ionic Temple at Rievaulx Terrace
At the far northern end of the Terrace stands the Ionic Temple.
Like the Tuscan Temple it has a classical Roman source- the Maison Carree at Nimes, and again is likely to have been designed by Thomas Robinson in the late 1750’s.
Here the Duncombe family and guests would dine and socialise after promenading along the Terrace. The lavish interior must have been a magnificent sight to behold by the privileged guests.
Although the room is filled with beautiful furniture and ceramics; including Chamberlain Worcester porcelain, and a set of twelve mid-18th century mahogany dining chairs, the chief glory is the ceiling. The restored plasterwork of the portico looks back to the work of Inigo, Jones, and the early 17th century father of Palladianism. Its frescoes of mythological scenes are the work of Italian painter Giuseppe Mattia Borgnis, who came to England around 1753. In the centre of the ceiling is Aurora, Apollo and the Muses, based on the Guido Reni’s mural in the Palazzo Rospigliosi in Rome.