Get hands-on to care for Souter Lighthouse
The New Year is a key time for Souter’s conservation team. While the lighthouse is closed to the public, it’s time to check and clean our collection of historic artefacts and give the building itself a little TLC.
We are looking for new volunteers to lend our small, friendly team a hand with this essential conservation work, starting in January 2017.
The role will be flexible, we can arrange days and hours to suit. While January is a priority, we will also welcome interest from anyone who can offer different dates. We’ re busy all year round, so we’d love new volunteers to become a permanent part of the team and get involved with other conservation projects.
What you will be involved in
- In January, assist with the deep clean of the lighthouse while we’re closed to the public.
- During the rest of the year, help our Lighthouse Steward with behind the scenes projects and ‘conservation in action’ to engage visitors with our work.
Up-coming projects include improvements to the storage of archive material, plus a full inventory check and condition assessment of Souter’s collection.
What you will learn
- No previous experience is needed.
- You will have the opportunity to learn a range of techniques to help care for the lighthouse collection, including specialist cleaning and storage methods.
This role will appeal to
- Someone with an interest in history, museum collections or conservation.
- Someone who wants to learn new skills and isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty!
If you would like to find out more, please email Kate our Lighthouse Steward, or give her a call on 0191 5290905 for an informal chat.