All about the Church House
Church Houses were built in most parishes for parish festivities or 'ales' and for liquor to be brewed for public feasts. The Church House at Widecombe was built around 1540 - it's close to the church and adjacent to Sexton's Cottage - and thought to be one of the best surviving examples in Devon. For many years it's held a central role in the village.
In the 18th century it was used as an alms house for aged men and women of the parish. In the early 19th century it became the Workhouse or Poor House and the first floor was used as a school.
The Parish purchased the Church House from Devon County Council in 1935 and it was later presented to the National Trust.
It is now leased to the Village of Widecombe and used as a village hall. See what goes on in the Church House https://www.widecombe-in-the-moor.com/whatson.php.
More detailed information about the building itself (pdf).