No. 7 Fly a kite
When there's a bit of wind in the air it's the perfect time to enjoy no. 7 on our list of ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activities. If you haven’t flown a kite before, take a look at these top tips before you start.
Let’s go fly a kite
Kites come in lots of different colours, sizes and even shapes. But they all have one thing in common – they love to fly. Can you imagine how it must feel to be a kite, soaring between the ground and the clouds, watching the world from above with the wind lifting you higher and higher?
Flying a kite is probably one of those things you think about doing when you're on holiday, usually at the beach. But you can fly a kite anywhere if there's a bit of wind and an open space.
What you will need
- A kite
- A breeze
- A wide open space - beaches or parks are usually good choices
- Strong arms - the kite can sometimes pull away from you in the wind
- Someone to pick the kite up if it crashes and help launch it back into the air again.
Kite flying tips
Follow our top tips below and you'll soon have your kite high in the air like a bird.
- Don't forget to look up and check there’s nothing that might get in the way of your kite when you start to fly it.
- Unwind the string about four metres and ask a friend or family member to take the kite away from you, while you hold tight on the string. Get them to launch it upwards into the wind and then you're in control.
- Pulling the string tight makes the kite climb higher, and unwinding the string allows it to go higher in the sky.
- Remember the longer the string you've got, the further someone will have to go to pick it up if (or when) it crashes.
- It can be just as hard to fly a kite in very strong wind, as it is in no wind at all.
To ensure you can complete your ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activities safely, here are some top tips to help you complete your challenges with safety in mind.
Download the full ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activity list.
Whether you’ve got a bike, scooter, wheelchair or skateboard, enjoy no. 11 of our ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ - explore on wheels.
Birds singing, woodpeckers tapping, trees rustling, waves crashing and streams bubbling. These are just some of the sounds that nature makes. Head outside and join nature’s band as part of the National Trust's ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’.