Best places for a longer bike ride
Discover longer cycle trails around the UK designed to suit families with older children, as well as adults looking for more challenging routes. All routes will take you into the heart of spectacular countryside while getting your pulse racing.
- Castle Ward, County Down
- Grab your bikes and helmets and go on a cycling adventure at Castle Ward. It's a great way to explore the 21 miles of trails which criss-cross the estate and hug Strangford Lough. With tracks to suit all abilities, the routes are perfect even for little legs. Take a trip to the lough, through sheltered woodland or to the deer parks as you follow the network of cycle paths around the estate.Visit Castle Ward
- Langdale cycle trail, Cumbria
- This is a moderate 11-mile mountain bike trail through Cumbria's Great Langdale Valley with awe-inspiring views of Langdale Pikes. You'll travel through varied scenery, including meadows, woodland and even a quarry.Take the bike trail challenge
- Langstrothdale, Yorkshire Dales
- Explore farmland, bridges and medieval churches by bike on this longer route around the Langstrothdale valley. You can extend this route even further through the Greenfield Forest to spot wildlife through the seasons.Explore the Yorkshire Dales by bike
- Long Mynd Classic, Shropshire
- This mountain bike ride is a must for any experienced rider who wants to explore some of the best routes on Long Mynd in Shropshire. The ride starts and finishes in Carding Mill Valley and covers tough climbs, high-speed descents, technical tracks and of course great views along the way too.Visit the Long Mynd
- Stackpole mountain bike trail, Pembrokeshire
- Step it up a gear by following our mountain bike trail through Castle Dock and Cheriton Bottom Woods. There are over four miles of climbs, twists, turns and jumps to enjoy all set against an epic background.Discover Stackpole on your bike
- Wicken Fen, Cambridgeshire
- Explore the Fens on two wheels. Enjoy an easy family ride to see Konik ponies or discover the wildlife in the wider reserve. The National Cycle Route 11 offers plenty of long-distance cycling trails to enjoy, and you can hire bikes at the cycle hire centre.Visit Wicken Fen
Discover some of the best bike rides through the woodland and countryside we look after. Get a new two-wheeled perspective of some of our best-loved places.
We want as many children as possible to experience the excitement of exploring new places by bike, so we've created a list of top tips to help your little one find their way on wheels.
Find out where you can go mountain biking at Black Down, Woolbeding Common, Ludshott Common and Hindhead Common and the Devil’s Punch Bowl, while protecting these habitats.
Discover our top places where you can go horse riding and enjoy great views from the saddle, from meandering woodlands to beautiful beaches.
Discover the best places around the UK for beginners and children to try rock climbing or scrambling, with qualified instructors.
Choose one of our favourite coastal running spots and see where it takes you – miles of coastal trails, wooded valleys and havens for nature await.