Sustainable travel in Suffolk
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, bike or foot. Plan your day out in Suffolk using greener travel options.
Travel by bus
- Flatford - There are frequent services from Colchester and Ipswich bus stations to East Bergholt via Manningtree Railway Station.
- Ickworth Estate - Ickworth is on the road between Bury St Edmunds and Clare / Haverhill. There are regular bus services from Bury St Edmunds town centre including the Number 14 and 15 buses. The bus stops in the village of Horringer, which is about a 15 minute walk to the main welcome point.
- Lavenham Guildhall - Chambers 753, Bury St Edmunds to Colchester stops in the village of Lavenaham, the Guildhall is located in the Market Place.
- Melford Hall - There are buses that run regularly to the village of Long Melford from Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds train stations. The closest bus stop is adjacent to The Bull Hotel in the middle of the village.
- Pin Mill - There's a local bus from Ipswich to Chelmondiston (the Ipswich to Shotley via Wolverston and Chelmondiston, number 202) from here you can walk the short distance to Pin Mill.
- Sutton Hoo - The 71 service operated by First Buses from Woodbridge stops outside the entrance to Sutton Hoo.
- Theatre Royal – Is located in the edge of Bury St Edmunds town centre.
Nearby railway stations
Don’t forget to plan your onward journey from the train station.
- Flatford - The nearest railway station is Manningtree which is 1¾ miles from Flatford by footpath or 3½ miles by road. Cycle hire is available from Manningtree Station.
- Ickworth Estate - The nearest station is Bury St Edmunds (3 miles).
- Kyson Hill - Can be reached by public footpath from Woodbridge Railway Station.
- Melford Hall - The nearest station is Sudbury (4 miles), which takes approximately ten minutes by taxi.
- Sutton Hoo - The nearest train stations are Melton (1¼ miles) and Woodbridge (3 miles). To access from Melton station turn right out of the station, crossing over Wilford Bridge. Walk up the hill from the roundabout and take the first right down the driveway signposted Sutton Hoo.
- Theatre Royal - Bury St Edmunds train station is within ¾ mile.
The National Cycle Network (NCN) is a UK-wide network of signed paths and routes, ideal if you’re looking to reach places by bike.
- Flatford - 'Bike & Go' cycle hire is available from nearby Manningtree Railway Station.
- Dunwich Heath - NCN42.
- Ickworth Estate - Is 4½ miles via the road and cycle paths from Bury St Edmunds.
- Lavenham Guildhall - South Suffolk Cycle Route A1
- Orford Ness - NCN Regional Route 41 is 1 mile away. To access Orford Ness you'll need to catch a boat from Orford Quay, so it's worth noting that there is cycle parking in Quay Street car park (not National Trust).
Arrive on foot
- Flatford - The St Edmund Way and Stour Valley Path both pass through Flatford, linking the hamlet to many other local communities.
- Dunwich Heath - Is on the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Path and Sandlings Walk.
- Orford Ness - The Suffolk Coast Path and Sandlings Walk pass nearby on the mainland, where you can catch a boat from Orford Quay (please note booking in advance is required).