The Lansdowne Monument

Cherhill Down

Seen from miles around, the Lansdowne Monument is a striking feature in the landscape.

The monument was built as an ‘eye-catcher’ in 1845 by 3rd Marquis of Lansdowne, when it was at the edge of the Bowood estate. The stone obelisk is 120ft high and was designed by Sir Charles Barry (architect of the Houses of Parliament).

Lansdowne Monument

Oldbury Castle

Oldbury Castle Iron Age hillfort