Our rabbit was rescued from the house by archaeologists at work in the State Bedroom. On display in a cabinet in the Blue China Room prior to the fire, he’s made his way not just through fire but down one storey through a collapsing floor and ceiling.
One of a pair, our rabbit is Chinese and was made from porcelain between about 1720 and 1799. Exported to Europe, he was snapped up in the early twentieth century by the sharp eyes of the remarkable collector Hannah Gubbay. He came to Clandon Park in 1969 as part of the large collection of ceramics, needlework and furniture given to the National Trust by this generous connoisseur where he's been appreciated by visitors ever since.