Why not wrap up warm and explore the garden at Coleton Fishacre as it is aglow with festive light? The streams, beautiful trees and exotic features of the garden are lit for Christmas in spectacular fashion and the house is ready for a 1920s Christmas party this December.
The garden at night
A walk through the garden during Coleton aglow truly delights. The route leads you between twinkling fairy lights down past the front of the house to the Rill Garden where the stream through the centre of the garden is filled with light and the colours of the summer recreated with uplighters. Down through the centre of the garden the ponds and trees are awash with warm and colourful light, and above your heads disco balls glitter. You'll pass the Quarry where a giant cocktail glass spills champagne bubbles, reminiscent of the party taking place in the house. At the bottom of the garden you'll reach the tree fern glade, before coming back up the garden to the summer house, where you can take a moment to admire the views across the route you've just walked and see the wave of lights cascade down Cathedral Bank.
Christmas in the house
The Christmas decorations this year have been inspired by a Christmas party which took place at Coleton Fishacre in 1929. The D'Oyly Carte family built Coleton Fishacre as their country home, and spent their time here relaxing and entertaining in style. When you visit the house you'll see preparations underway for a glamourous 1920s Christmas party just waiting for the guests' arrival. You’ll be able to try on your party outfit in the handling room, listen to party music playing in the Saloon and there’ll be parlour games in the Sitting Room such as Gilbert and Sullivan charades.
Festive food, drink and gifts
To really put you in the Christmas spirit, a visit to the café and shop are a must. Café Coleton is serving take-away hot drinks and food which you can enjoy as you wander through the garden, and the shop is filled with gifts and Christmas decorations. Mulled wine and mince pies are available to buy at the Gazebo, and in the House Kitchen a range of tasters from the shop are available to try.
Useful information and booking
- Coleton aglow is running on Fridays – Sundays from 1 to 17 December and Wednesdays - Sundays from 20 to 31 December.
- There are two time slots available to book for your visit: 5-6.30pm or 5.30-7pm.
- Normal admissions apply for Coleton aglow, and entry is free for National Trust members and under-fives.
- Booking is essential; please call 01803 842382. Places are limited.
- When you book, you will be allocated a parking space. You will need to bring proof of booking with you to be granted admission to the car park.
- The illuminated route around the garden takes about 40 minutes to walk.
- There is also a short route which leads past the house to the gazebo and back; perfect if you aren't up for walking the entire route or you're looking to avoid steps and steep hills.
- Dogs are welcome in the garden on short leads.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- The house, shop and café will be open throughout Coleton Aglow.