Why not wrap up warm and explore the garden at Coleton Fishacre as it is aglow with festive light? The streams, beautiful trees and exotic features of the garden will be lit for Christmas in spectacular fashion and the house decorated for a 1920s Christmas party this December.
An illuminated exotic garden
A walk through the garden during Coleton aglow truly delights. The route weaves between twinkling fairy lights down past the front of the house. In the Rill Garden the stream through the centre of the garden will be filled with light, and the colours of the summer recreated with uplighters. Down through the centre of the garden the ponds and trees will be awash with warm and colourful light, disco balls will glitter in the trees. At the bottom of the garden you'll reach the tree fern glade, before coming back up the garden to the summer house, where you could take a moment to admire the views across the garden, and see a boat made from lights 'sailing' on Cathedral Bank.
A 1920s Christmas in the house
The Christmas decorations in the house are inspired by a Christmas party which took place at Coleton Fishacre in 1929. The D'Oyly Carte family built Coleton Fishacre as their country home, and spent their time here relaxing and entertaining in style. When you visit the house you'll see preparations underway for a glamourous 1920s Christmas party just waiting for the guests' arrival. You’ll be able to try on your party outfit in the handling room, listen to party music playing in the Saloon and there’ll be parlour games in the Sitting Room such as Gilbert and Sullivan charades.
Festive food, drink and gifts
To really put you in the Christmas spirit, a visit to the café and shop are a must. Café Coleton will be serving take-away hot drinks and food which you can enjoy as you wander through the garden, and the shop will be filled with gifts and Christmas decorations. Mulled wine and mince pies will be available to buy at the Gazebo in the garden.
Useful information and booking
- Coleton Aglow dates for 2018 will be announced later in the year.
- There will be staggered arrival times available to book.
- Normal admission prices apply for Coleton aglow, and entry is free for National Trust members and under-fives.
- Booking is essential by calling 01803 842382. Places will be limited, and available to book later in the year.
- When you book, you will be allocated a parking space. You will need to bring proof of booking with you to be granted admission to the car park.
- The illuminated route around the garden will take about 40 minutes to walk.
- There is also a short route which leads past the house to the gazebo and back; perfect if you aren't up for walking the entire route or you're looking to avoid steps and steep hills.
- Dogs are welcome in the garden on short leads.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- The house, shop and café will be open throughout Coleton Aglow.