St Peter's Church
This was built in the late 15th century by Sir Robert Throckmorton. It began life as a Catholic Church but, following Henry VIII's Reformation, is now Church of England.
Leaving a legacy
Inside you can see the original tomb intended as his resting place but he died on pilgrimage to the holy land leaving the tomb empty for over 350 years.
In 1791 his descendant, another Sir Robert Throckmorton, 4th Baronet, was laid to rest in this tomb.
A family burial
Also inside the church is the tomb which contains Sir George Throckmorton, son of the original Sir Robert, and his wife Katherine Vaux. Images of their 19 children can be seen on the cover of this tomb.
One of these children, another Sir Robert Throckmorton, is interred close to his parents. Portraits of both this Sir Robert and his mother, Katherine Vaux, can be seen in the house along with information about their importance in Throckmorton family history.
Other items of note in and around the church are the font and sundial, which some suggest could be of Saxon origin.
The late 17th-century clock chimes the hour on one of the three bells cast by Bagleys of Chacombe in 1686.
Celebrating Catholic freedom
Close by, the Catholic Church of St Peter, St Paul and St Elizabeth was commissioned by Sir Robert Throckmorton, 8th Baronet, soon after the emancipation acts were passed which permitted the building of non-Anglican places of worship.
Designed by the Catholic Architect Charles Hansom (brother of J A Hansom, inventor of the Hansom Cab) it was erected in 1857 but reflects the church building style of the 14th century.
Some of the stained glass is by John Hardman, an artist who worked closely with Pugin and was a pioneer of the stained glass revival in the 19th century.