Relax in the Walled Garden
Visit the beautiful and highly productive ornamental walled garden which has been restored to its original layout, bursting with colour during the summer months. Alongside the roses and ponds is an native Irish apple orchard and the former home of the Head Gardener.
History of the Walled Garden
Created in the late 18th century, the walled garden was an integral part of this working Irish estate. It was improved significantly in 1869 when the 4th Earl of Enniskillen married Charlotte Baird, a wealthy heiress from Dumfriesshire. She invested much into the development of the garden, providing many of its main features including the entrance bridge, pergola, Rose Garden and greenhouses.In 1886 Charlotte, Lady Enniskillen, embarked upon a remodelling of the Walled Garden, with the expert help of James Sutherland as head gardener. He had been specially brought over from Scotland for the task ahead and remained at Florence Court for at least eighteen years. During his time, the Rose Garden was planted beside the waters of the upper pond c.1890 and a bridge was added to create a new approach to this part of the garden. He was also responsible for creating the pergola in the Lower Garden, with its climbing roses and clematis and also the tennis court and nursery in the region to the north of the wall. Sutherland introduced a Roman garden, an Italian garden and also an English garden, each with its own distinctive characteristics. His brilliant designs gave the amazing impression that this was one huge ornamental garden, while indeed a very large area was actually devoted to fruit, vegetables and herbs. The garden remained in production up until the 1940s, having up to 12 full time gardeners at its peak.
A garden full of colour and character
There was a beautiful and highly productive ornamental walled garden which has been restored to its original layout, bursting with colour during the summer months. Alongside the roses and ponds is an native Irish apple orchard with over 40 varieties. Situated within the Walled Garden, sits the beautiful Rose Cottage, which was once the home of the Head Gardener on the estate. Currently, Rose Cottage is used as long-term volunteer accommodation for our Kitchen Garden proejct, so please respect their privacy when visiting the garden.
Features in the garden, 'Everything flows'
This stunning water feature in the garden dates back to the early 19th century and has continued to undergo extensive conservation work thanks to our members and supporters that enable us to carry out our vital conservation work to keep this place special.
Notably inscribed in the water feature in Latin, is ‘Panta Pei’, which means everything flows.
Read more about the conservation project HERE.