Mrs Hardy's Kettle Broth
Thomas Hardy's favourite meal, as a child, was the unassuming kettle broth made by his mother, Jemima.
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 slice of diced smoked streaky bacon (optional)
- 3 slices of white bread
- 1 pint of stock (vegetable, chicken, ham or hot water - waste not want not!)
1. Fry an onion (diced) in butter, until soft.
2. Cube a rasher of bacon and add to the onion.
3. Crumb three slices of bread and also fry for a little time in the butter.
4. Add stock and stir until the broth resembles thin porridge.
Come and see other Hardy recipes being cooked at Hardy's Cottage, every Friday (11am-2pm), as part of 'Jemima's Cookbook'. Click here for more information.