The Bletchingly land was originally part of the South Park Estate, a medieval deer park. The park was divided (before 1680) into six farms. These farms were owned by the Clayton Family, who owned much of Bletchingly.
One of these farms, Brownshill Farm, was bought by Thomas Pope in 1854. Pope demolished the original farm house and built Harewoods House. He also built Home Farm, a lodge (now North Lodge) and a game keeper’s cottage (The Pheasantry).
Thomas Pope sadly went bankrupt and Alfred Lloyd bought the farm, from a consortium of money lenders, in 1875.
Lloyd purchased two further farms from the South Park Estate - Lodge Farm in 1896 and Gay House Farm in 1882.
The Burstow land was also from a medieval hunting lodge, Burstow Park (part of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Wimbledon). Over time, the land was divided into three farms - Burstow Park (the largest) Stonehouse and Hookhouse.
Lloyd bought these three farms between1889 and 1894.
The Horne land is different from the other parishes because it did not form part of a park. The main property, Hornecourt Manor Farm, was owned by Jesus College Cambridge until it was bought by Lloyd in 1891.
Wilmot’s Farm is also from this parish and dates from medieval times. The farmhouse is thought to have been built for a prosperous yeoman farmer. It was bought by Lloyd in 1889.
The estate today
Find out more about some of our farms by visiting the websites of Home Farm
and Hookhouse Farm
and see them as they are today.