The history of Harewoods
The Harewoods estate, a collection of farms, woodland and commons in Surrey, was created by Victorian London stockbroker Alfred Howard Lloyd. It’s believed he used the land mainly for hunting. Gifted to the Trust between 1955 and 1965, the land today is largely agricultural, used by tenant farmers and enjoyed by visitors looking for peace and quiet in the countryside.
The beginnings of the Harewoods estate
The land at Harewoods used to be part of three ancient parishes – Bletchingly, Burstow and Horne. Alfred Howard Lloyd bought Harewoods House (not owned by the National Trust) in Bletchingly in 1875. Over the next 20 to 30 years, he bought neighbouring land and property, eventually building a mini empire of around 2034 acres.
The Bletchingly land was originally part of a medieval deer park called the South Park Estate. Sometime before 1680, the park was divided into six farms, owned by the Clayton family. One of these farms, Brownshill Farm, was bought by Thomas Pope in 1854. He demolished the original farmhouse and built Harewoods House, which was purchased by Alfred Howard Lloyd in 1875 after Pope went bankrupt. Lloyd purchased two further farms from the South Park Estate: Lodge Farm in 1896 and Gay House Farm in 1882.
The Burstow land was also from a medieval hunting lodge called Burstow Park - part of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Wimbledon. Over time, the land was divided into three farms: Burstow Park, Stonehouse and Hookhouse. Lloyd bought these three farms between 1889 and 1894.
The Horne land housed Hornecourt Manor Farm, owned by Jesus College Cambridge until it was bought by Lloyd in 1891. The medieval Wilmot’s Farm is also from this parish and is thought to have been built for a prosperous yeoman farmer. It was bought by Lloyd in 1889.
Homes for Lloyds’ estate workers
Lloyd bought various dwellings around the village of Outwood. He also built several cottages for his estate workers, including Aberdeen House and cottages, South Lodge and Burstow Park Cottages.
A gift for all to enjoy
Outwood Common and the Harewoods estate, including farms, woods and cottages, were given to the National Trust by Alfred’s son and wife, Mr and Mrs Theodore H Lloyd, between 1955 and 1965. Lloyd wanted visitors to enjoy his estate and we have created several footpaths across fields and through woods for you to discover this peaceful haven in Surrey.
The Sandhills estate (including Castle and Sandhills Farm), to the north of Harewoods, was donated to the Trust in 1968 by the Countess of Munster. There are a number of footpaths to explore here too.
The estate’s vernacular (domestic) buildings are amongst the richest and most varied in Southern England. Wilmots Farm, Burstow Park Farm and Hornecourt Manor Farm all have medieval origins. Other farmhouses and cottages date from the 17th to the early 20th century.
The estate also has some important farm buildings, including 17th and 18th century threshing barns, early 19th century shelter and cart sheds and planned Victorian farmsteads.
All the cottages and farms are tenanted and not open to the public. Please drop us an email for further information on the estate’s properties.
Outwood Common and Cricket Club
Outwood Common was used by commoners for timber and grazing until the mid-1800s. Many ancient oak trees, some around 200 years old, can still be seen today.
Outwood Cricket Club was founded in 1889. During the Second World War, the Canadian Army camped in the woods around the ground. They used the pavilion as their Sergeants’ Mess and the playing area for baseball.
The estate today
Today, the land at Harewoods is largely agricultural, let to tenant farmers. Many people visit Harewoods to enjoy its ancient common, hidden woodland and peaceful countryside location.
With hidden woodland, an ancient common, meadows and working farmlands, Harewoods is a wonderful spot in the Surrey countryside to enjoy the great outdoors.
From sowing ‘bumble-bird’ crops to growing superfoods, we’re creating the perfect environment at Harewoods for nature and wildlife to thrive.