Houghton mill wholemeal scones
Best served with a good portion of jam and clotted cream
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 125ml milk sultanas (optional)
- Preheat oven 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Mix flours, baking powder and salt.
- Rub in butter.
- Mix in sugar and fruit (if using).
- Add milk a little at a time, stirring with a fork, until it becomes a dough.
- Roll out to ¾" on a floured surface.
- Cut into 2" rounds and place on greased baking tray.
- Brush with milk (or beaten egg) and bake for 15 mins.
- Cool on a wire rack, add jam and cream and enjoy!