Inside The Shack
Inside it contains all mod cons, 1930s style. It resembles a two-berth cabin on a boat, with matching bunk beds, wardrobes, desks and chairs. Hidden away behind panelling is a cooker, sink and fridge and there is even a small en-suite shower room.
The materials used to build The Shack were some of the most innovative at the time, making it an unusual example of Modern Movement design.
Who were Seely & Paget?
They were friends who met at university and went on to form an architectural partnership in 1926.
John Seely (1899-1963) was the son of the 1st Lord Mottistone, General Jack Seely ('Galloper Jack'). He became 2nd Lord Mottistone in 1947. Paul Paget (1901-1985) was the son of the Bishop of Chester.
Their first commission was the restoration and extension of Mottistone Manor for Seely’s father. Other work included brand new churches, such as St Faith’s Church in Lee-on-Solent and a sparkling art deco residence for Stephen and Virginia Courtauld on the site of Eltham Palace in London.