General Wolfe and Quebec House
In 1726 Edward Wolfe and his young bride rented this house, then called Spiers. A year later their first son, James was born. When, at 32, James died a hero in the battle of Quebec the house was renamed in his honour.
The developing house
Originally built between 1530 and 1550 the first building was an L-shaped timber framed house. In the 1630s the layout was altered to create the latest fashion, what historians call a ‘double pile’ house.
By the 1880s the house was divided in two and Quebec House West was used as a school.
The boy born to be a soldier
James Wolfe was born to be a soldier, he received his first commission aged just 14. By the time he was 22 he had been in battle four times, wounded three times and had command of his own regiment.
The battle of Quebec
Wolfe commanded the army sent to capture Quebec. A vicious siege led to a desperate plan to capture the city. Wolfe’s army was victorious, but he paid the ultimate price.
Wolfe’s tragic death was immortalised by Benjamin West. This epic history painting became the most popular image of the time. It secured Wolfe’s place in British military history.