Apple and rhubarb crumble
Two British superstars come together in this classic pudding; sweet, tangy and sour filling with a crunchy top is the perfect end to any lunch or dinner especially with a luxury helping of custard.
- 500g (18oz) Bramley apples, peeled and chopped
- 500g (18oz) rhubarb, cut into chunks
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 15g (1/2 oz) plain flour
- 250g (9oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) oats
- 100g (3.5oz) caster sugar
- 150g (4oz) butter
- 5g (0.5oz) ground ginger
- 20g (1oz) soft light brown sugar
- custard or pouring cream
- Place the rhubarb and apples in the bottom of a suitable sized casserole dish or similar, mix well.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar and flour and mix again.
- Place the flour, oats, caster sugar, butter and ground ginger in a bowl.
- Rub the fat into the dry ingredients until incorporated but still with a few lumps.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle over the brown sugar and place in the oven at 180C for around 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the top is golden