Apple and rhubarb crumble
Two British superstars come together in this classic pudding; sweet, tangy and sour filling with a crunchy top is the perfect end to any lunch or dinner especially with a luxury helping of custard.
- For the filling:
- 500gBramley apples, peeled and chopped
- 500grhubarb, cut into chunks
- 50gcaster sugar
- 15gplain flour
- For the crumble:
- 250gplain flour
- 100gcaster sugar
- 5gground ginger
- 20gsoft light brown sugar
- To serve:
- custard or pouring cream
- Place the rhubarb and apples in the bottom of a suitable sized casserole dish or similar, mix well.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar and flour and mix again.
- Place the flour, oats, caster sugar, butter and ground ginger in a bowl.
- Rub the fat into the dry ingredients until incorporated but still with a few lumps.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle over the brown sugar and place in the oven at 180C for around 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the top is golden