Apple cinnamon bun
This afternoon treat is great using British apples, finished with an autumnal cinnamon spice, crunch of nuts and a luxurious caramel sauce.
- 250g strong bread flour
- 125g plain flour
- 25g caster sugar
- 7g sachet fast acting yeast
- 125ml milk
- 100ml warm water
- 1 medium egg
- 25g butter
For the filling
- 60g butter, melted
- 15g ground cinnamon
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 325g apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
For the caramel
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml double cream
- 25g chopped mixed nuts, toasted
- Place the flours, yeast and caster sugar in the bowl of your mixer, attach the dough hook and pour in the milk and half the water, start to mix on a low speed.
- Once the dough starts to come together add the eggs and any additional water to make a smooth dough.
- Once the dough has formed, add the butter and continue to mix for around four minutes.
- When the butter is incorporated and the dough is smooth remove from the mixer and place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Remove from the bowl and place on a floured side, give the dough a couple of kneads to bring it together and shape into a rectangle.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to a rectangle approximately 40x20cm, spread the melted butter over the entire surface, then sprinkle over the sugar, cinnamon and chopped apples.
- Roll from the long edge making sure you get it as tight as possible, cut using a sharp knife into 12 pieces and place on the lined baking tray, cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size and the buns are all touching each other.
- For the caramel: Place the sugar in a pan over a high heat and cook until the sugar starts to melt, swirl the pan gently and let the sugar cook until it goes golden brown, stir in the cream and keep stirring until you have a smooth caramel – take care as the caramel will be hot.
- Once the rolls have risen place in a preheated oven at 180ºC/gas mark 6 and cook for around 20 minutes until risen and golden, remove from the oven and immediately spoon the caramel over each one and then sprinkle over the nuts.