Cauliflower cheese gratin
Combining delicious cheddar and stilton, this cauliflower cheese gratin is an indulgent lunch or dinner dish. Rich and satisfying; it’s the perfect autumnal comfort food.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 200g leek, roughly sliced
- 350g broccoli, roughly chopped
- For the sauce
- 50g butter
- 450ml milk
- 50g cornflour
- 200g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 15g fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- For the gratin topping
- 100g gluten free bread
- 75g cornflakes
- 50g strong Cheddar cheese
- 15g fresh parsley
- To serve
- 250g green cabbage, finely shredded
- 100g leeks, thinly sliced
- 3tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- Remove the outer leaves and the base of the cauliflower before breaking it into small pieces.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add a teaspoon of salt before adding the cauliflower and potatoes. Cook until soft. Drain the cauliflower and potatoes
and place into a bowl, add the chopped leeks and broccoli and stir well.
- For the sauce: dissolve the cornflour in a little of the milk. Gradually add the remaining milk and the butter to a pan and bring to the boil, stirring in the cornflour mixture. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cheeses and parsley, stir until melted before seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the gratin: place the bread, cornflakes and parsley in a food processor and blitz until broken down.
- Add the cheese and pulse a couple of times to ensure it’s mixed through.
- Tip the vegetable mix into the cheese sauce and stir well. Pour into a serving dish, then sprinkle the gratin mix over the top in an even layer.
- Place in the oven at 180C / 160C (fan) / gas mark 5 for around 25–35 minutes or until the top is bubbling and golden.
- To serve: drop the remaining cabbage and leeks into a pan of boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and then stir through the oil. Serve with the cauliflower cheese gratin.