Chocolate hazelnut torte cake
Rich and gooey, this chocolate dessert is a real showstopper. It’s easy and fun to make so it’s great for baking with kids.
- 180gdark chocolate
- 10mlvanilla flavouring
- 100ghazelnuts, toasted and blitzed until fine
- 50gcocoa powder
- 5gbaking powder
- 5 eggs
- 150gcaster sugar
- 1tspwhite wine vinegar
For the ganache:
- 100mldouble cream
- 100gdark chocolate
- 20gwhite chocolate
- Melt the chocolate and margarine together and add the vanilla flavouring, leave to cool while you whisk the eggs.
- Place the hazelnuts, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl and mix together well.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your mixer, attach the whisk and start to slowly mix, add a tsp salt and the vinegar and continue mixing.
- Increase the speed of your mixer, continue to whisk until when you lift the whisk over the mixture the batter falls slowly forming a ribbon that will hold its shape for a few minutes.
- Remove the whisk and slowly pour in the cooled chocolate mixture, stirring with a metal spoon until incorporated.
- Sprinkle the hazelnut mixture over the top of the mix and gently fold through until incorporated.
- Pour into a 9" sandwich tin and tap once on the worktop to remove any large air bubbles.
- Place the sandwich tin in the oven at 150C and bake for around 45 minutes, or until risen and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove and leave to cool.
- For the ganache topping: Place the cream in a pan and bring to a boil, immediately switch off the heat and add the chocolate, stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the top of the torte, letting it drip down the sides.
- Melt the white chocolate and drop randomly over the top of the cake, use a spoon to swirl gently. Leave to set before serving.