This easy gluten-free coffee cake is perfect for coffee lovers or those wanting to perk up their afternoon. Moist sponge and fluffy frosting makes this an indulgent coffee treat that can be enjoyed with your favourite cuppa and shared with family and friends.
- 350g margarine or butter
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 10g instant coffee granules
- 350g gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
For the frosting
- 150g margarine or butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 10g coffee granules
- 5g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, and lightly grease the inside of your two cake tins, then line with non-stick baking paper.
- For the cake, place the margarine or butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together until fully combined, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat well until smooth.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in a tablespoon of boiling water and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the flour, xanthan gum and coffee to the creamed butter and sugar and mix gently until smooth.
- Divide the mix between your two cake tins and place in the oven for 30 minutes until risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For the frosting, dissolve the coffee into a tablespoon of boiling water and allow to cool.
- Place the margarine or butter, icing sugar and cooled coffee into a bowl and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Sandwich the cakes together with a layer of frosting in between, and then use the remaining frosting to cover the sides and top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the finished cake with cocoa powder and serve.