Treat the family to a warming dish with this comforting classic cottage pie. Layered with beef mince and fluffy, buttery mash, it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
For the filling
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 300g onion, roughly chopped
- 300g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300g carrot, roughly chopped
- 1kg minced beef
- 500g chopped tomatoes
- 100ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping
- 1.5kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 50g butter or margarine
- 50ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes until soft. Mash together with the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Place a pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and garlic, and sauté until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and mixed herbs followed by the carrots, then stir.
- Add the minced beef and cook until browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until the beef is cooked and the sauce has reduced. Season to taste.
- Decant the mince mixture into your oven dish. Top with the mashed potato and place into the oven at 170 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until golden and crispy.