This classic combination of whole oats and syrup makes a tasty, energy-boosting snack. Equally good on a long ramble or enjoyed with a cup of tea in one of our cafes.
- 720g (25oz) porridge oats
- 300g (10.5oz) cooking margarine
- 250g (9oz) golden syrup
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- Line a 20x15cm or similar cake tray or brownie pan.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place the sugar, syrup and the butter in a large saucepan. Heat slowly until all melted together.
- Remove from the heat and pour onto the oats.
- Mix until all the oats and syrup mixture are combined.
- Spread the mixture into your tin and gently press the surface to level.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cut immediately into 12 portions whilst in the tin.
- Leave to cool completely and then remove in the pre-cut portions.