Rhubarb and stem ginger scones
The deliciously delicate flavour of these rhubarb and stem ginger scones will get your taste buds tingling. Still slightly warm from the oven with lashings of butter, they're the perfect treat with your favourite cuppa.
- 750g self-raising flour
- 185g caster sugar
- 185g butter, cubed
- 200g rhubarb, peeled and diced
- 300ml milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 piece stem ginger in syrup, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the rhubarb and ginger, then about two-thirds of the milk and combine until you have a soft, slightly wet dough, adding a little more milk if needed. Be careful not to overmix.
- Turn out the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 3 – 4cm thick. Stamp out using an 8cm round cutter and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the top of the scones lightly with milk.
- Put the scones into the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C. Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden.