These strawberry squares are fresh and sweet, making them a delicious snack that can be enjoyed at any time of day. You can pop them into lunchboxes, serve them at picnics or sneak a couple as dessert – this fruity bake will make happy tums all round. What's more, these strawberry squares are a perfect way for using up any of your freshly-picked strawberries.
For the base
- 300gself-raising flour
- 300glight brown sugar
For the topping
- 300gsour cream
- 150gstrawberries, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 160°C or gas mark 3, and line a 30cm by 20cm deep-sided baking tray with parchment paper.
- For the base, mix the flour and sugar, and ‘rub in’ the butter until you have a sandy texture.
- Spread half of this mixture in your lined tray and press down gently with a spatula or back of a spoon until you have an even layer.
- For the topping, add the sour cream and eggs to the remaining flour mix and stir until just combined and with only a few lumps remaining.
- Pour this mixture over the base in your tin and spread evenly. Top with the chopped strawberries, arranging them evenly over the surface.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Once cooked remove from the oven. Let your bake cool completely before cutting.