A Chartist cottage
The mid-19th century was a period of rural discontent in Britain, from which the Chartist movement was formed.
A simple home
Originially Rose Cottage, Rosedene was part of a larger Chartist settlement in Dodford, in which around fourty plots, each of four acres, were built in an attempt to resettle people from industrial towns to a life of self-sufficiency in the countryside. Each occupant would have to pay ground rent, but ownership meant entitlement to a vote.
Rosedene was originally purchased in 1849 by an East India Company retiree from Cork called William Hodgkiss. It is generally considered to be the least changed of all the cottages, having been occupied by one family for much of the 20th century.
The cottage was bought at auction by the National Trust in October 1997 and remains largely unchanged since it was first occupied by early Chartists. A restoration project took place shortly after the National Trust acquired the property in readiness for welcoming visitors.