A gift from the Poultons
It was given to us in 1925. A memorial stone halfway down the Gaggan Edge footpath reads: ‘This common and woodland were presented in 1925 and 1928 to the National Trust by Professor and Mrs E.B. Poulton in memory of their children Hilda and Ronald and Janet who spent many happy hours at St Helens.' There's no public access apart from the public footpath.
Gaggan Edge: past to present
Gaggan Edge itself was named after the press gangs from nearby ships who used to lie in wait to gag their victims. These days, hardy black Hebridean sheep are the only threat, but mainly to coarse grass and scrub. We keep them to graze the land in late summer and restore its original condition as a flower-rich grassy common.