A beautiful floor
We have a beautiful Victorian tiled entrance hall which needs lots of TLC and has recently been restored. The floor which is made of encaustic tiles was laid in 1899 as part of the extension of the original house.
The tiles were made locally in the Ironbridge Gorge by Maw & Co. Over time the tiles had lifted from the floor bed and had to be re-bedded by our conservators.
In the Conservatory lies our fernery which was created by Mary Jane Slaney and her gardener, Thomas Steventon. The pair won prizes for their ferns at the Shrewsbury Flower Show between 1894 and 1906.
This year our garden team have restored the fernery to its original condition. Have a look at our information board when you visit.
We have several thousand objects on display and tucked away in cupboards. We are currently cataloguing lots of our collection that is held in store.
Look out for our events like Handicraft Weekend and Handbags and Gladrags when we put delicate objects on display.