Summer family adventures at Uppark
Nestled in the heart of the South Downs, Uppark is a perfect place for families to enjoy a relaxing day out. We have great family trails inside and outside as well as plenty of space to stretch your legs in the South Meadow.
Summer School holiday trail
Saturday 21 July - Sunday 2 September 10am -5pm
This summer we are walking in the footsteps of the women of Uppark. From exploring distant lands to the art of butter churning, find out more about each of our women in our fun and imaginative family trail.
It will take all the family to complete your trail which takes you around the house and grounds so just ask the team at the Golden Gate Kiosk for a trail when you arrive and get exploring.
Suggested donation £1 per trail.
50 things to do before you're 11 3/4
Pick up one of our '50 things to do before you're 11 ¾' booklets this summer and see how many you can complete. Our south meadow is perfect for families. Set yourselves up with a picnic and get exploring; you’ll be able to bird spot from there as well as finding the perfect kite-flying conditions. If you haven't got a kite, pop into our shop and buy one of our pocket money kites.
Picnics at Uppark
You're welcome to bring your own food to enjoy as a picnic in the south meadow and take in the views across the South Downs. We've got a chest of lawn games for you to borrow too so you can make the most of your day.
If you fancy something extra then why not pick up snacks, cakes and ice cream to go from the café and take it out into the gardens to enjoy? We would suggest the wide glade behind the East Pavilion if you’re looking for some shade.
With a tempting selection of cakes and bakes, sandwiches and drinks in disposable cups, these are perfect to pick up and enjoy on the go or for a picnic with friends and family.
There are also some delightful treats in the shop and if you've not got a rug to relax then you can always purchase your own from the shop.
Please do remember to pick up any litter once you've finished and take it home.
With family membership you can enjoy great adventures at many National Trust places and free car parking at countryside sites. Both 1 and 2 adult family memberships available - just ask at reception.
Family friendly checklist
- Children under 5 go free.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets.
- Pushchairs admitted around the grounds and in all catering outlets, though not in the house due to space restrictions.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available for loan in the house.
- Children’s menu available in the café including a pick’n’mix lunch box; ice creams are available here as well as the Golden Gate Kiosk.
- Highchairs available in the café.
- Picnic spaces around the grounds as well as picnic benches by the entrance.
- Great family gifts and pocket money toys available in the shop.