Things to do with the kids this Christmas at Uppark
Set high on the South Downs, Uppark’s gardens are the perfect place for a spot of kite-flying on a blustery winter’s day. Explore the small woods and make a cosy den – there are hard paths all around the grounds. In the house kids can find out how people celebrated Christmas in Georgian times as well as discover the servants’ tunnels that snake beneath the house. Close by, the café serves children’s portions, plus pick ‘n’ mix lunch boxes.
Lady Sarah's Christmas Ball trail at Uppark
Saturday 30 November - Sunday 5 January, 10am - 3.30pm
There's a festive trail in the gardens where little ones can dress up ready to attend a Georgian Christmas Ball. Trails cost £2 per child, plus usual admission to the estate.
'50 things to do before you're 11¾'
There's plenty of wintery '50 things to do before you're 11¾' activities to keep the kids busy throughout the season. Uppark's small woodlands are close to the house and gardens, so easy to explore with little ones and the perfect place for a winter nature walk. If you're very quiet you may even spot some wildlife - the woods are home to plenty of animals, including foxes, deer and native hares.
The South Meadow behind the house is great place to warm up with a running race, kite-flying or making wild art with sticks and leaves.
Don't forget to explore the underground tunnels leading to the Servants Quarters with plenty of things to look out for as you walk round.
Hunt a little further inside the house and you'll find a giant dolls' house. It's one of the best examples in the country and is over 250 years old. Everything in it is as lifelike as possible, from the hallmarked silver dishes on the dining room table, to the real miniature candles in their wall sconces.
Family gift membership
Buy a gift which gives back this year. With family membership you can enjoy great adventures at many National Trust places and free car parking at countryside sites. Both 1 and 2 adult family memberships available - just ask about family gift membership this festive season.
While your loved ones are making the most of their membership, the money from your gift helps us care for the places they visit and keeps them special for ever, for everyone.
What they'll get:
- Free entry to over 500 special places
- Free parking at most National Trust car parks
- National Trust handbook, full of ideas to help them plan days out
- National Trust Magazine three times a year, packed with news and inspiration
Family friendly checklist
- Children under 5 go free.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets.
- Pushchairs admitted around the grounds and in all catering outlets, though not in the house due to space restrictions.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available for loan in the house.
- Children’s menu available in the café including a pick’n’mix lunch box; ice creams are available here as well as the Golden Gate Kiosk.
- Highchairs available in the café.
- Picnic spaces around the grounds as well as picnic benches by the entrance.
- Great family gifts and pocket money toys available in the shop.