Top ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activities to do when it’s raining
Don't let rain keep you inside – there are still plenty of activities you can get up to no matter how wet it is outside. We've put together a list of things from the National Trust's ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ list that are perfect for rainy days, so put on your waterproofs and get involved.
- No. 6 Go welly wandering
- All you'll need for this challenge is a rainy day and a pair of wellies. Running around in the rain might seem crazy when you start, but you'll soon be splishing and splashing around like a fish.Get wandering
- No. 29 Explore a cave
- Watery wildlife, slimy green weeds or things that make noises in the dark – who knows what you’ll discover? Caves are perfect places to explore whatever the weather, whether they're in sea cliffs or inland. Don't forget your torch!Find a cave
- No. 50 Take a friend on a nature adventure
- Double your fun by sharing your next nature adventure with a friend. Explore your secret wildlife hideouts together and make the great outdoors your new playground.Start your adventure
- No. 13 Make a mud creation
- How creative can you get with mud? Put on your wellies and find a muddy spot to find out. Cooking up a mud pie or creating a modern art masterpiece are just two things you can do with squishy mud.Let's get muddy
- No. 42 Go swimming in the sea
- There are not many things more invigorating than a swim in the big blue sea, even if it's raining. The National Trust looks after lots of brilliant beaches all around the UK coastline, so you're sure to find somewhere perfect for a splash.Dive in
- No. 14 Dam a stream
- Get some tips from a beaver and use twigs, branches and rocks to dam a stream. You can try all sorts of designs, but you'll need to work quickly to stop your dam getting washed away. Don't forget, local wildlife will be happier if you knock it down afterwards.Get building
- No. 20 Go paddling
- If you'd rather not go in for a full swim, you can still enjoy the water washing over your legs and feet, and feel the sand moving between your toes. See if you can spot fish or other creatures that might be interested in your feet.Paddle away
- No. 32 Float in a boat
- There are lots of options for floating in a boat at National Trust places across the UK, rain or shine. In some places you can hire the boats and all the kit you'll need and in others you can just take off on your own adventure.Let's get afloat
Enjoy a memorable family day out this summer. Plan your own wild adventures and see how many of our ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activities you can try out wherever you are.
Try out the ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activities children can enjoy by the sea, from paddling or swimming, to catching crabs and skimming stones.
From open seas to meandering rivers and lakes, there are plenty of spots where you can kayak or canoe. Find our top picks for water sports here.
To ensure you can complete your ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ activities safely, here are some top tips to help you complete your challenges with safety in mind.
Discover how and why we created the ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ list to help children connect with nature and the natural world.