Joining the Jewish community in Birmingham
The Levy family were a Jewish family who migrated from London to Birmingham in 1851. By this time, there was a Jewish community of around 700 people in the city, along with a synagogue and a Hebrew school nearby.
Lawrence Levy was a watchmaker and it's likely that he used part of the house as his workshop. The family had moved out of the court and closer to the city's Jewellery Quarter by 1861.